Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Tribute to John P. Soberg

A Tribute to John P. Soberg

By Bernie Gillespie November 11, 2007 

[Note: John Soberg went to be with God Nov. 11, 2007]

John Soberg was my good friend (and still is).

Seven weeks ago, I was especially privileged to enjoy a few, warm, Fall, Twin-cities hours with John. Sitting in their home, eating a great, fresh muffin made by Tarryn, we talked about our families, our friendship and eternity. Riding in the car to Minneapolis and back, John and I recalled old memories and talked about the future. We prayed together. I look at it now as a very precious time.

Even though he was in obviously in pain and life was ebbing, I was struck by the fact that he talked with optimism about the future. He talked about things that he wanted to do. That’s how John was. He was one of the most optimistic and forward-thinking people I know. Typically, he spoke hopefully in his journal entry of Sept. 23, 2007:

  • It has been useful to frame my current journey as just another Lewis & Clark expedition. It is so uncharted, but I have a strong confidence that I am going to make it through to the other side. So I journal and take note of things along the way, even when they are weird and unknown. I am so blessed to have a great traveling companion and so many friends that are along, in a way, for this unusual trek. I have been so encouraged by Tarryn’s consistent faith. My faith community has been steady, strong and unwavering. The journey continues, by faith. John

Over the twenty years of knowing John, he has always encouraged me. I mean really encouraged me. I appreciated his bright, intelligent mind that loved ideas. I admired his creativity inventiveness that allowed him to see things that others could not.  I enjoyed the hours of conversation about God and faith – and “theology”. I also respected his singular sacrifice and contributions to Christian education at the graduate level.

While there were so many things about John that I appreciated - especially his ability to eat two large pizzas by himself - I valued his encouragement most. Every phone conversation, at every meal we shared, even in his emails, he encouraged me about my ministry. He wrote me a few years ago encouraging me to continue “providing pathpoints of light for others to follow.” These words still give me direction.

They say that our daily lives are shaped by what we perceive our ultimate future to be. Our faith as Christians is unique. Believing that death is defeated in Christ changes the way we think about our future. The Apostle Paul said “Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have not hope.” While we grieve, it is not without hope. Indeed, there is a terrible “bite” to death. Yet, we believe Jesus has taken the sting of death for us, and immortality is in our future. That changes everything about how we live in the present.

I believe that John’s optimism was because of his faith. The Gospel infected his life in a unique way. He saw the possibilities and was excited about what could be. That hope in the future is John’s legacy to all of us. John was so into the future that ultimately the present could no longer hold him. His mind and body ached for God’s prospects … until they finally surrendered him from our present to God’s future.

And with your final heartbeat

Kiss the world goodbye

Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side, and

Fly to Jesus

Fly to Jesus

Fly to Jesus and live!

 

I can’t wait to see you John – in God’s future.

No comments: