Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Falling Through the Porch

Adoration of the Magi by Don Lorenzo Monaco (1...Image via Wikipedia

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. (NKJ John 1:14)

Odd Christmas Memory

Just like you I have many Christmas memories patched together over the years. Every time the Christmas season finally arrests my thoughts, around the holidays I experience a number of unbidden recollections surfacing randomly.

Oddly one memory persists while many others, which ought to be more easily remembered, have faded. It is the time my grandfather made a trek in cold snowy weather to a friends farm house in the country. These fine, hard working Christian people were struggling on this particular Christmas; and my grandfather and dad felt it the right thing to take them a gift of food. As my grandfather climbed their stairs and made in to the porch, his one foot broke through the wooden floor and went through. He was able to get it out and with only an injury that eventually healed.

I cannot tell you why this memory sticks in my mind. It seems that it carries a significant for me that I have not previously, consciously appreciated. However, this year it clicked for me. I saw this simple event as a snap shot of Christmas.

God Broke Through

At the first Christmas, God broke through to us. The whole world was in need of someone to come and give a package of sustenance. Our God and Savior, saw our need and came to us with the food of salvation. The great God of Heaven enwrapped Himself in humanity and journeyed to our "farm". He walked our stairs and stood on our porch. In coming, He broke through the rotting timbers of our fallen and decaying world, suffering injury. In order to deliver this salvation His Incarnation cost him more than an injured leg. It cost him his life on the Cross.

Christmas Mourning

On Christmas day I weep

Good Friday to rejoice.

I watch the Child asleep.

Does he half-dream the choice

The Man must make and keep?

At Christmastime I sigh

For my good Friday hope

Outflung the Child's arms lie

To span in their brief scope

The death the Man must die.

Come Christmastide I groan

To hear Good Friday's pealing.

The Man, racked to the bone,

Has made His hurt my healing,

Has made my ache His own.

Slay me, pierced to the core

With Christmas penitence

So I who, new-born, soar

To that Child's innocence,

May wound the Man no more.

--Vassar Miller (1924- )


A Break Through for Us

God's breaking through the porch brought great suffering for Him. But, to us it was a great salvation. This demonstration of His love and mercy gave us hope. It filled us with meaning. His suffering brought us a new song.

Christmas Now

Child, when Herod wakes,

and hate or exploitation

swing their dripping swords,

from your cross and cradle

sing a new song.


Child, when Caesar's laws

choke love or strangle freedom

calling darkness light,

from your cross and cradle

sing a new song.


Child, when Caiaphas

sends truth to crucifixion

to protect his prayers,

from your cross and cradle

sing a new song.


Child, your helpless love

brings death and resurrection;

joyfully we cometo your cross and cradle

with a new song - Alleluia! Alleluia!

--Brian Wren (1936- )


Breaking Through Someone's Porch

There are so many all around us who are in desperate need of the food of Heaven. We trust that the Story of Jesus will inspire you to visit someone's "porch" and risk "falling through" to deliver them the gift of the Gospel of Jesus. Have a truly Merry Christmas!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: